[Ads-l] figmo

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 17 01:05:16 UTC 2018

Remember the movie, "I'm All Right, Jack"? The title was reputed to be a
family-friendly rendition - BTW, remember when _rendition_ referred
primarily to someone's version of a song? - of "Fuck you, Jack! I'm all
right." The flick also demonstrated how easy it was to turn the gesture
then known as "V for victory" into the British equivalent of the finger/the
bird, with a twist of the wrist.

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 7:32 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> > On Feb 16, 2018, at 5:28 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
> wrote:
> >
> > Cf. FUJIGMO in HDAS 1.
>
> Which comes with two unpackings, one
> (1950, Sat. Evening Post, “translation unprintable“)
> somewhat less helpful than the other
>
> [spoiler space for those wanting to work it out for themself…]

> 1980 Cragg, L. Militaris “Fuck You Jack, I’ve Got My Orders”
>
> LH
>

> > On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 3:53 PM, Bill Mullins <amcombill at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> In Jesse Sheidlower's _The F-Word_ from 1962. (not in OED)
> >>
> >> _Philadelphia Inquirer_ 9/1/1944 p 12 col 2
> >> "Well, it seems that Marines and soldiers in the Western Pacific have
> come
> >> up with a new one, which instead of describing a situation is used to
> >> rebuff officious corporals and possibly even sergeants.  The word is
> >> "FIGMO."  A family newspaper translation of same would be "Fade; I got
> my
> >> orders." "
> >>

> > --
> truth."