[Ads-l] Rothschild Quote

Sat Feb 17 20:27:23 UTC 2018

The Wikipedia entry for John D. Rockefeller has an attribution to
Rockefeller in 1990.

The Dictionary of Modern Proverbs has an entry for "Buy when (the)
blood is running in the streets" with a 1964 attribution to Rothschild
(no first name).

I can only do a quick search right now, but I see interesting earlier
citations in the early 1900s. Some cites claim the advice was given
during the Paris commune in 1871. A 1921 "Sunset Magazine" citation
credits Anselm Rothschild. I will try to search some more when I get a
chance.

Date: May 10, 1907
Publication: The Wall Street Journal
Location: New York, New York
Article: Review and Outlook: "In the Price"
Quote Page 1, Column 3

[Begin excerpt]
Baron Rothschild (if his memory will bear one more legend) once
advised the purchase of French Rentes, "But," exclaimed he to whom the
advice was imparted, "the streets of Paris are running with blood." To
which the Baron calmly replied: "If the streets of Paris were not
running with blood you could not buy Rentes at this price."
[End excerpt]

Garson