[Ads-l] Bald eagle etymology

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 20 22:56:18 UTC 2018

Oxford Book of Bird Names: "Used of the Marsh Harrier and the Osprey, but
properly a name for the Kite, as in Merrett 1667 'Peronos bald Buzzard, or
Kite'."

The chief connection between "bald eagle" and "bald buzzard" would thus
seem to be that the namers of the bald eagle may possibly

Since said eagle indisputably has a white head, I wonder what William of
Ockham would have thought of this. But even if English speakers
folk-etymologized "balbusard" (osprey) into "bald buzzard," the line holds
that "bald"still  means "bald" (or "sure looks bald").

JL