[Ads-l] Green's: "shine someone on (v.)"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 22 07:35:35 UTC 2018

"(also put someone on (the) shine, shine it on, shine on someone) [euph.
shit n. (1)]
[1960s+] (US black) to ignore, to disdain."

I'm familiar with "shine someone on," in my experience, the original
phrase, and the later variant, "shine it on," with the meaning,"don't
bother (about it), never mind, don't give it a second thought" or, to quote
a line from the *movie* - it doesn't occur in the novel, I've been told -
The Pawnbroker: "Cool it, baby! Don't get up tight!" The other two alsos
I've never heard. If "[euph. shit n. (1)]" is meant to suggest an
etymology, then it's nonsense. Don't nobody use no euphemisms in the 'hood.
Y'all motherfuckers ought to know that.

Don't Shine Me On - Part 1, Part 2 - 1963
(Frank Robinson)
Frankie & The Del Stars
Foremost Record Company 785

The record is later than the phrase, by about a year - who can really know
when a catch-phrase originated? - and was not at all successful. I heard it
only once. But, its lack of success makes it rare, rarity makes it
collectible, and so it turns up on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVEfXVP7gGo
Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k2fX74qqUs
Part 2