[Ads-l] a different take on "chain migration"

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 23 18:16:47 UTC 2018

Try using a slur on someone where that slur applies to both of you. Pick a person that is close to you and you have a good rapport with. Also pick someone who isn’t going to go stark-raving nutso over something like that.

You might get laughter in return because you have broken a taboo. You have said something offensive but something that also applies to yourself. What you do is build solidarity with your interlocutor because you have a shared understanding of what it’s like to have that word used against you, and because you have reclaimed the word, making it possible to use the term in-group while excluding others.

Just my personal thoughts on the matter. Surely a linguist has studied this.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Sent from my iPhone