[Ads-l] Joan of Arc Quote

Margaret Winters mewinters at WAYNE.EDU
Mon Jan 1 16:56:43 UTC 2018

It is certainly modern French - I was interested in the fact that it appears on tee shirts and tattoos!

Happy New Year again to all,

Margaret

----------------------------
MARGARET E WINTERS
Former Provost
Professor Emerita - French and Linguistics
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI  48202

mewinters at wayne.edu

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2017 12:55 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Joan of Arc Quote

> The original in French is: "Je n'ai pas peur des soldats, car ma route m'
a été ouverte, et si les > soldats viennent, j'ai Dieu, mon Seigneur, qui
saura comment libérer la route qui mène à        > Sieur le Dauphin. C'est
pour cela que je fus nais."

This is contemporary French. Surely, these aren't the actual words of
Jehanne la pucelle. They're at best a translation into the current
language. Or is that all that's being sought?

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Margaret Winters <mewinters at wayne.edu>
wrote:

> I tried to find a dating for the quote, without success, but came across
> both this site for a teeshirt with it on and other sites where a tattoo
> design was offered...
>
> Just for general wonderment, I'll pass this on.
>
> Happy New Year to all,
> Margaret
>

> As Joan of Arc<http://www.maidofheaven.com/> was leaving Vaucouleurs to
[http://www.maidofheaven.com/maid_assets/extras/joanofarcshield.jpg]<http://www.maidofheaven.com/>

Joan of Arc - Maid of Heaven: Learn All About JOAN<http://www.maidofheaven.com/>
www.maidofheaven.com
Joan of Arc OVER 1500 pages including Facts and History of Saint Joan of Arc with timeline, quotes, pictures, biography and the equivalent of tens of thousands of ...

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain