[Ads-l] Joan of Arc Quote

Margaret Winters mewinters at WAYNE.EDU
Tue Jan 2 14:28:36 UTC 2018

Thanks, Amy - it does sound like a kind of quote that one wishes someone had said.

----------------------------
MARGARET E WINTERS
Former Provost
Professor Emerita - French and Linguistics
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI  48202

mewinters at wayne.edu

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Amy West <medievalist at W-STS.COM>
Sent: Tuesday, January 2, 2018 7:07 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Joan of Arc Quote

As I pointed out to Fred privately, what I find interesting is that it's
found in her rehabilitation trial, which was posthumous. So, the quote
is reported/indirect/hearsay. Very much like the "heart of a woman,
stomach of a man" quote attributed to QEI (recorded in someone else's
letter years later).

---Amy West

On 1/2/18 12:00 AM, ADS-L automatic digest system wrote:
> Date:    Mon, 1 Jan 2018 16:58:12 +0000
> From:    Margaret Winters<mewinters at WAYNE.EDU>
> Subject: Re: Joan of Arc Quote
>
> Thanks - this is interesting in that it seems to say that Joan said it (if she did) at some part of her trial.  Of course she probably had to answer to "why?" very often in varying settings.
>

> ----------------------------
> MARGARET E WINTERS
> Former Provost
> Professor Emerita - French and Linguistics
> Wayne State University
> Detroit, MI  48202
>
> mewinters at wayne.edu

[https://s0.wp.com/i/blank.jpg]<http://www.americandialect.org/>

American Dialect Society<http://www.americandialect.org/>
www.americandialect.org
Devoted to the study of English around the world.