[Ads-l] Everyone's A Comedian

Margaret Winters mewinters at WAYNE.EDU
Mon Jan 15 15:33:10 UTC 2018

Thank you, Mark!  My own work is in grammar change, so I do need much help on such resources.

The broad meaning of the meme seems to be, roughly,  that people in general seem to think they can do the work of professionals in some field (comedy, criticism, photography...).

Margaret

----------------------------
MARGARET E WINTERS
Former Provost
Professor Emerita - French and Linguistics
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI  48202

mewinters at wayne.edu

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Mark Davies <Mark_Davies at BYU.EDU>
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2018 9:23 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Everyone's A Comedian

>> It feels like the beginning of a meme, but I cannot think of other nouns in the slot.

https://corpus.byu.edu/now/?c=now&q=62622654
NOW Corpus<https://corpus.byu.edu/now/?c=now&q=62622654>
corpus.byu.edu
Billions of words of data from web-based newspapers and magazines, 2010 through yesterday

https://corpus.byu.edu/glowbe/?c=glowbe&q=62622598

MD

Mark Davies
Professor of Linguistics / Brigham Young University
http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu/
[http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu/personal/images/davies3.jpg]<http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu/>

Mark Davies, Professor of (Corpus) Linguistics, Brigham ...<http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu/>
davies-linguistics.byu.edu
Mark Davies, Professor of (Corpus) Linguistics, Brigham Young University (BYU), Creator of corpora from corpus.byu.edu.

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **

Thank you!  Is it related, do you think, to 'everyone's a critic'?  It feels like the beginning of a meme, but I cannot think of other nouns in the slot.

best,

Margaret

mewinters at wayne.edu