[Ads-l] off-color language

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Mon Jan 15 21:57:13 UTC 2018

On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 10:10:02 Zone - 0500 "David K. Barnhart" <dbarnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM> asked:

>Has there been an article of off-color (vulgar or obscene) language by
>politicians (esp. presidents)?

A well-known example is George Washington's, uh, comments, at the Battle of Monmouth Court House.  Just one on-line cite:

https://books.google.com/books?id=qOoVRy4Da_8C&pg=PA162&lpg=PA162&dq=Greene%2B%22he+swore+like+an+angel+from+heaven%22&source=bl&ots=VQ5kKTlDME&sig=AHDhNLyLuakonho9Xl5Ir4hDVCg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1u6HE-drYAhXmSN8KHdSmDQ4Q6AEILzAB#v=onepage&q=Greene%2B%22he%20swore%20like%20an%20angel%20from%20heaven%22&f=false

<quote>
Washington called Lee a "damned poltroon, and scattered with a terrific eloquence of unprintable scorn."  General Scott, who was knwon to be present was asked after the war if he had ever been witness to Washington swearing, where he answered immediately, "Yes, sir, I did one: It was at Monmouth and on a day that would have made any man swer.  Yes,sir, he swore that day till th eleaves shook on the trees.  Charming! Delightful@ Never have I enjoyed such swearing before or since.  Sir, on that memorable day he swore like an angel from heaven!"
<end quote>

- Jim Landau