[Ads-l] excursion

Dave Hause dwhause at CABLEMO.NET
Tue Jan 16 05:22:11 UTC 2018

I think I remember also hearing it (in the aviation community) as "excursion
from normal flight operation" when the pilot has done something stupid like
make a 90 degree bank close to the ground in heavy aircraft (followed by
dragging a wing tip.)
Dave Hause
-----Original Message-----
From: ADSGarson O'Toole
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2018 11:03 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: excursion

I've heard "excursion" used by safety engineers. For example, "nuclear
excursion" has been used to refer to accidents at nuclear facilities.
Here is an example from 1958.

Date: September 4, 1958
Newspaper: The Greenville News
Newspaper Location: Greenville, South Carolina
Article: Enriched Uranium Drains Info Drum, 'Goes Critical'- 8 Workmen Hurt
Newswire: UPI
Quote Page 34, Column 1
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
A combination of circumstances, including human error, caused a
nuclear reaction that exposed eight workmen to dangerous radiation
here, the Atomic Energy Commission reported Wednesday.
. . .
The committee also warned that while this "nuclear excursion" might
have been avoided by mere rigorous precaution, "A nuclear accident
will always be within the realm of possibility whenever potentially
critical quantities of fissionable material are being handled.
[End excerpt]

Garson