[Ads-l] Pablo Picasso anecdote echoes a tale from the life of James McNeill Whistler

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 16 07:47:24 UTC 2018

> Great thanks to...

Remember the cartoonist, Jimmy Hatlo? In similar circumstances, he used

"A tip of the Hatlo hat to..."

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 1:30 AM, ADSGarson O'Toole <
adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:

> Back in March 2017 I initiated a thread about an anecdote called:
> "Knowing where to tap". Neal Whitman made a comment that led me to
> explore an analogous story concerning Pablo Picasso. Recently, on
> twitter Bonnie Taylor-Blake participated in a thread that mentioned
> the Picasso tale. The Quote Investigator website now has an entry
> about this topic:
>
> "But you did that in thirty seconds." "No, it has taken me forty years
> to do that."
> https://quoteinvestigator.com/2018/01/14/time-art/
>
> [Begin acknowledgement]
> Great thanks to Neal Whitman whose analogous tale about a logo created
> with a few strokes led QI to initiate work on this topic. Further
> thanks to Bonnie Taylor-Blake, Josh Kramer, and Janice Chu whose
> tweets about the Picasso anecdote led QI to finish formulating this
> question and performing this exploration. Additional thanks to
> discussants Dan Goncharoff, Wilson Gray, and James A. Landau.
> [End acknowledgement]
>
> Many years before the Picasso tale there was a pertinent incident in
> the life of James McNeill Whistler.
>
> “Oh, two days! The labour of two days, then, is that for which you ask
> two hundred guineas!” “No;—I ask it for the knowledge of a lifetime.”
> https://quoteinvestigator.com/2018/01/12/lifetime/
>
> Feedback welcome
> Garson

-Wilson