[Ads-l] Quotes from Famous Short Stories

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 17 18:27:09 UTC 2018

Quotation dictionaries don't usually include many quotations from short stories, but I'm trying to do so in my upcoming revised edition.  Can anyone point me to crucial or particularly memorable quotes from any of these famous short stories:

Anton Chekhov, "The Bet"

Joyce Carol Oates, "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?"

Raymond Carver, "Cathedral"

Or, for that matter, I would welcome any suggestions of crucial or particularly memorable quotes from other short stories as well.

Fred Shapiro