[Ads-l] Quotes from Famous Short Stories

Wed Jan 17 22:24:19 UTC 2018

Here is a line from another story in Raymond Carver's "Cathedral"
collection followed by lines from two well-known science fiction
stories.

Year: 1983
Short Story: A Small, Good Thing
Collection: Cathedral
Author: Raymond Carver
Note: I haven't verified this with hardcopy. This quotation is in the
18th edition of Bartlett's Familiar Quotations. In the original story
I think the text is between quotation marks and "he said" is appended.

[Begin excerpt]
You have to eat and keep going. Eating is a small, good thing in a
time like this.
[End excerpt]

Year: 1953
Periodical: Star Science Fiction Stories No. 1
Short Story: The Nine Billion Names of God
Author: Arthur C. Clarke
Note: I haven't verified this with hardcopy. This data is from Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nine_Billion_Names_of_God

[Begin excerpt]
Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out.
[End excerpt]