[Ads-l] Quotes from Famous Short Stories

Thu Jan 18 20:49:06 UTC 2018

Jeff Prucher posted a quotation from H. P. Lovecraft. Following this
avenue here are two more quotations from Lovecraft.

Year: November 1921
Journal: The Wolverine
Short Story: The Nameless City
Author: H. P. Lovecraft
Note: Excerpt is from version at hplovecraft.com. Metadata is from
Wikipedia entry on "The Nameless City". This information must be
independently verified.
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/nc.aspx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nameless_City

[Begin excerpt]
It was of this place that Abdul Alhazred the mad poet dreamed on the
night before he sang his unexplainable couplet:
"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."
[End excerpt]

Year: September 1925.
Journal:  Weird Tales #24
Short Story: The Temple
Author: H. P. Lovecraft
Note: Excerpt is from version at hplovecraft.com. Metadata is from
Wikipedia entry on "The Temple". This information must be
independently verified.
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/te.aspx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Temple_(Lovecraft_short_story)

[Begin excerpt]
But he was unmoved, and cried: "If I am mad, it is mercy! May the gods
pity the man who in his callousness can remain sane to the hideous
end!"
[End excerpt]

Garson