[Ads-l] Early QOTY candidate

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jan 22 01:24:54 UTC 2018

> On Jan 21, 2018, at 7:04 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
>>> “Right now, in a number of states, the laws allow a baby to be _torn_
> from
>>> his or her mother's womb in the ninth month,” Trump said. “It is wrong.
>>> It has to change.”
>
>> Killjoy.
>
> _Still_ seems like a good QOTY candidate to me. "_Torn_ from the womb in
> the _ninth_ month"?! WTF is that supposed to mean? Does he want to outlaw
> caesareans?

Maybe Trump's speechwriter had just come from a production of the Scottish play, where Macbeth, having been assured by the witches' prophecy that no man of woman born can defeat him, unfortunately encounters Macduff, who was "from his mother's womb / Untimely ripped”.

As for Trump’s misreading of the line, I think that’s a case for Dr. Freud.

LH