[Ads-l] Shoulda seen it coming....

Margaret Winters mewinters at WAYNE.EDU
Tue Jan 23 13:46:32 UTC 2018

It's very different - or at least we think so.  The President, maybe not...

----------------------------
MARGARET E WINTERS
Former Provost
Professor Emerita - French and Linguistics
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI  48202

mewinters at wayne.edu

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 12:56 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Shoulda seen it coming....

> I don't remember any widespread outcry that the film was somehow racist
for describing the South Bronx as an s-hole.

After all, a throw-away line in a random film is non-distinct from a public
declaration by the United States of America. Am I right, fellas? High five!

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 12:46 AM, Peter Reitan <pjreitan at hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Leone and Liberia.
>

> El Salvador is the home of MS-13 and currently suffers from widespread
> gang violence and has a history of violent political unrest and civil war.
>

> Haiti is generally considered the poorest country in the Americas, and has
> a history of political corruption.
>

> If the certain "African countries" referred to Guinea, Sierra Leone and
> Liberia.
>

> Sierre Leone had an 11 year civil war in with attrocities and child
> soldiers.  Yellow fever, malaria and ebola are serious problems there.
>

> Guinea has been the subject of fraud and corruption charges related to
> mining rights by US, British and French law enforcement.  Guinea had a
> military coup in 2009 and hundreds of people were injured and killed in
> protests related to an election a few years ago.  The two major parties run
> along tribal loyalties.  It is very poor.
>

> Liberia has a long history of corruption, is very poor, and had a civil
> war that ended in 2003.
>

> I'm not the kind of person that refers to places as "s-holes," but I know
> how s-hole is frequently used by people who speak that way, and can see how
> the several countries at issue might objectively be seen as "s-holes" by
> outsiders from more stable, economically advanced societies and without a
> personal or nostalgic connection to those countries might view them as
> "s-holes," in the way that others use the similarly problematic word
> "deplorable" to refer to people of an opposing political view.
>

> I haven't been to any of those countries, but I have been to nice country
> in Central America that wasn't a s-hole, nice countries in the Carribean
> that weren't s-holes, and a country in West Africa not far from Guinea
> which, although it is considered a stable democracy with religious
> tolerance and a relatively prosperous country for the region, might
> reasonably be called a s-hole by someone used to a different kind of
> lifestyle.  The one time I visited West African (as a small cog in a
> diplomatic mission while I was on active duty in the military) was the only
> time I have ever seen a young man squatting and taking a dump next to a
> dead goat on a beach in the middle of a large, capital city, and with no
> one blinking an eye at it or really taking any notice of it.  The rural
> communities seemed well kept and the people happy, if poor by our
> standards, and the city was vibrant, crowded, hot and the wealthy people
> and diplomats lived behind big walls with armed private guards to keep the
> riff-raff away.  Was it an s-hole?  I wouldn't call it that, but I wouldn't
> be surprised if some people visiting might see it that way.  And it was, by
> all accounts, much nicer than any of the countries Trump is said to have
> dissed.
>

> You be the judge on whether that is less sinister or not.  It is at least
> not necessarily "racist", which was the primary accusation making the

[https://s0.wp.com/i/blank.jpg]<http://www.americandialect.org/>

American Dialect Society<http://www.americandialect.org/>
www.americandialect.org
Devoted to the study of English around the world.

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain