[Ads-l] Antedating of "Come Out of the Closet" (Homosexuality)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 23 20:05:52 UTC 2018

> On Jan 23, 2018, at 2:45 PM, MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY RDECOM AMRDEC (US) <william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL> wrote:
>

>>> On Jan 23, 2018, at 2:01 PM, MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY RDECOM AMRDEC (US) > >

>>> It would be nigh-on impossible to search for, I suspect, but I wonder when "of the closet" started being dropped, and when "come out"
>> started being applied to characteristics other than homosexuality ("come out as a Republican", etc.).
>>>

>> The OED, s.v. _closet_ 3(d),
>> 'to come out of the closet: to admit (something) openly, to cease to conceal, esp. one's homosexuality’, with reference to the antonymic
>> ‘in the closet’, provides this cite
>>
>> 1973   Times 4 June 14/1   It will be nice if those of us who have been slightly shamefaced addicts [of horse-racing] for years can at last
>> come out of the closet
>>
>> —only one year later than their first unambiguous sexual-orientation-related cite (granted, 4 years later than the Berkeley Barb hit above):
>>
>> 1972   Pride of Lions (Columbia Univ.) Apr. 2/1   For those who have come out, tried it and like it, read no more. For those, ‘in the closet’,
>> you need to read on, get right on!
>> (Cute, that “pride of lions” reference, that being Columbia’s mascot/nickname)
>>
>> There’s also this but I don’t know the broader context of the excerpt:
>>
>> 1963   S. Plath in London Mag. Jan. 16   Come here, sweetie, out of the closet.
>>
>> It’s not bracketed, so I assume it’s metaphorical in one sense or another.
>>

> The Plath cite is from a poem:
> https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/57419/the-applicant
>
> and I am not able to tell what the author meant by this use.

Thanks, Bill.  If it were my entry, I’d have at least bracketed if not entirely omitted this occurrence, which I don’t see as having to anything obvious do with the sense glossed above,
'to admit (something) openly, to cease to conceal, esp. one's homosexuality’.

LH