[Ads-l] Antedating of "Come Out of the Closet" (Homosexuality)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 23 20:22:35 UTC 2018

Just to further complicate the chronology, the metaphorical gay "closet"
does extend further back in the compound form "closet queen/fag." HDAS has
this as the earliest cite for "closet queen":

1959 ISR Graffiti: You closet queens are full of shit.

(Jon, what's "ISR"?)

And Green's Dictionary of Slang has:

1961 A. Reiss in Cressey & Ward _Delinquency, Crime, and Social Process_
(1969) 994: In the organized ‘gay world,’ they are known as ‘closet fags’.