[Ads-l] to (have) got this

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 24 13:58:08 UTC 2018

Urban Dictionary entry for "I got this" from 2006:

----
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=I%20got%20this
I got this
An expression that's short for:
1. I got this covered.
2. I got this handled.
3. I got this under control.
WORKER: I can't talk to that guy. He feels I'm all game.
TEAM LEADER: Don't worry. I got this.
----

The only dictionary I see that treats the expression explicitly is the
Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary, but only with "you" as the subject:

----
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/you-you-ve-got-this
_you/you've got this_
mainly US informal
used to tell someone that you believe they can or will succeed in dealing
with something:
"I know you can lose that weight! You got this!"
----

--bgz