[Ads-l] Antedating of "Come Out of the Closet" (Homosexuality)

Thu Jan 25 10:06:11 UTC 2018

The Oxford English dictionary entry for "to come out of the closet"
presents a general meaning based on the cessation of concealment. The
first OED citation is in 1963. Below are some additional citations
beginning in 1960.

[Begin excerpt]
closet, n.

3.d. to come out of the closet: to admit (something) openly, to cease
to conceal, esp. one's homosexuality. Opp. to be in the closet. Cf.
sense 10   below. slang.

1963   S. Plath in London Mag. Jan. 16   Come here, sweetie, out of the closet.

1972   Pride of Lions (Columbia Univ.) Apr. 2/1   For those who have
come out, tried it and like it, read no more. For those, ‘in the
closet’, you need to read on, get right on!
[End excerpt]

Date: July 14, 1960
Newspaper: Fort Lauderdale News
Newspaper Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Article: Tell Us, Ol' Chap, Is It Sudsy, Too?
Author: Hugh A. Mulligan
Quote Page 9A, Column 4
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
A BOY SCOUT pulling on a canteen would be as suspect as a Bowery bum
swigging on a pint bottle in a doorway.
The country's myriad closet drinkers could at last come out of the
closet and get their kicks with the garden sprinkler.
[End excerpt]