[Ads-l] What is a NOVEL?

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 10 15:17:03 UTC 2018

> I've yet to see them use the word to be synonymous with a short poem, but
some do call "Beowulf" a "novel."

Just after reading this yesterday, I came across a question on Quora:
How much of the epic novel “Beowulf” is real? Did ‘Beowulf’ interact with
people who existed?

which has an interesting answer (there is some history in there) and it
ends with: "PS: *Beowulf* isn’t a novel; it’s an epic poem."

I'd send the link, but you pretty much have to join Quora to read anything
on it. It's free and worthwhile but ...

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 8:46 AM, David Wilton <dave at wilton.net> wrote:

> The Bible? Yes, that's a novel too.
>
> The OED? They don't know that there is such a thing as a dictionary. Only
> Google.

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com
608 658-1890 cell