[Ads-l] Phrase: take the mickey out of (May 28, 1923; antedates OED)

Thu Jul 12 06:14:18 UTC 2018

Wilson Gray wrote:
>> I just opened to take him down.
>
> Is there a version of this in Yankspeak?

Garson suggested:
Good question. I am not sure how to interpret the remark. Perhaps
"opened" meant "opened the throttle" to achieve a greater speed, and
"take him down" meant "reduce his arrogance" by achieving a greater
speed. This concurs with the interpretation provided by Mark.