[Ads-l] Swiss steak

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jul 15 03:20:44 UTC 2018

Interesting.  I had too many unfortunate experiences with Swiss steak (or at least something called that) in institutional settings to be able to consider it objectively.  But I’ll take y’all’s word for it.  By coincidence I happened to be looking up recipes for Swiss chard (having been gifted with two beautiful large bunches of the vegetable from a colleague with connections at a community garden) and discovered that the Swiss (or at least all but one of them) have basically nothing to do with it.  The only Swiss connection is apparently "Swiss botanist Gaspard Bauhin who classified the plant in his work Phytopinax in 1596”.

LH