[Ads-l] rain = clients (that bring in revenue)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 16 07:02:08 UTC 2018

Appears to be a kind of back-formation from "rainmaker." OED3 has the
relevant sense:

----
4. fig. Business (orig. U.S.). A person who generates business or income
for a company or organization, esp. by attracting clients.
1897   Milwaukee (Wisconsin) Jrnl. 8 Dec. 4/2   He does not make any
special exhibit of his financial rain maker, Mr. Wolcott.
1971   Washington Post 16 May b3/1   'He was mostly a rainmaker,' the kind
of legal agent who makes things happen.
1989   Toronto Star (Nexis) 26 Mar. f2   These are the rainmakers who are
leaving. These are the guys who bring in the business.
1999   N.Y. Mag. 20 Sept. 32/3   A Democratic rainmaker who raised $1.5
million for Democratic candidates.
2002   P. Augar & J. Palmer Rise Player Manager xiii. 286   Heroes in the
professions are those in the front line: the star barristers, the
rainmakers in corporate finance, the creatives in advertising.
----