[Ads-l] Antedating rainmaker WAS Re: rain = clients (that bring in revenue)

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 16 18:03:25 UTC 2018

I read these two "rainmaker" cites as being different from the current sense of the partner who make it rain by bringing in the paying clients.

The 1891 Springfield Republican cite is backwards, the "rainmaker" makes the economic sun go away with clouds caused by tariffs.

The Dixon Evening Telegraph citation refers to charlatans, who are as dishonest as con-artists who pretend to bring rains for a fee.

________________________________
From: Stephen Goranson<mailto:goranson at DUKE.EDU>
Sent: ‎7/‎16/‎2018 10:07
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Antedating rainmaker WAS Re: rain = clients (that bring in revenue)

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Stephen Goranson <goranson at DUKE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Antedating rainmaker WAS Re: rain = clients (that bring in
              revenue)

Maybe relevant:

"...These as a rule make fairly good wages when they work, but every little=
 while some rain-maker comes along and by discharging a few tariff bombs dr=
ives their financial sun under a cloud...."

Springfield Republican, page 5
Publication Date:
December 6, 1891
Published as:
Springfield Republican
Location:
Springfield, Massachusetts
Headline:
Springfield News And Comment. Pawnbrokers And Their Shops. Peculiarities In=
 The Business Which Has Its
Article Type:
News/Opinion

S. Goranson