[Ads-l] Request help with Russian passage in ABC book by Leo Tolstoy

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Mon Jul 23 21:09:47 UTC 2018

I just noticed that I omitted two Russian words from the

translation I sent below. After "Neither," there is

"both illiterate."

So the revised translation of the story is:

Two persons on the street found together a book and

began to quarrel about it.  A third one asked:

"Who of you is literate?"

They said: "Neither" {literally: No one]. [We] both are illiterate.

[Then in italics]: Two bald men are fighting for a comb.

G. Cohen
Two persons on the street  found together a book and

began to quarrel about it.  A third one asked:

"Who of you is literate?"

They said: "Neither" {literally: No one].

[Then in italics]: Two bald men are fighting for a comb.

Gerald Cohen