[Ads-l] More Facebookery

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 26 15:07:09 UTC 2018

It’s one of those situations where grammar, at least my grammar, provides no feasible option (unlike the “one of the damn {things/*thing} is enough” case):  “any of us’s child” is no better.  Of course, the Romance prepositional phrase option is OK—“the child of any of us”—but that avoids rather than solves the problem.  Similarly, “I asked one of my friend’s mothers”/“…one of my friend’s mother”:  both impossible. If it were second person instead of first, there’s always “She could have been any of yall's child”—no problem.

LH