[Ads-l] Slight But Important Antedating of Term "Oscar"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 4 19:32:42 UTC 2018

Barry Popik has concluded that "Oscar" referred to a canned joke involving
theater impresario Oscar Hammerstein (grandfather of the lyricist).

---
https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/oscar_academy_award/