[Ads-l] Put the kibosh on: Evidence it referred to a whip, #6

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Thu Jun 7 20:48:35 UTC 2018

Here is the sixth piece of evidence that put the kibosh on

originally referred to a whip.

PIECE OF EVIDENCE #6

6. Abhorrent, racist rant (Punch, March 15, 1879, p. 113),

which includes the following line:

          He’s off with the 17th Lancers to kibosh the festive Zulu.

The reference of  kibosh here to whipping is made distressingly

clear by the accompanying couplets; see Cohen/Goranson/Little

(2017: 72) for the relevant quotes.

Gerald Cohen

Book information:

Gerald Cohen, Stephen Goranson, and Matthew Little. Origin of

     Kibosh: Routledge Studies in Etymology. (London and New York:

     Routledge; Taylor & Francis). ISBN 9781138628953.  The book

     gives 2018 as the date of publication, but it was in fact available

     already by mid-October 2017.