[Ads-l] "Bear cubs and wolf _pups_ in danger"

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Sat Jun 9 07:54:36 UTC 2018

It may be because it's late on a Friday night, but my distinct impression
is that here in Alaska, manymany would choose pups for the young of the
wolf. Bears of course have cubs. Lions are outside our expertise.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wolf-pups-rescued-alaska-fire-find-new-home-n119481

Here is the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, who should know what they
are talking about (
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wolfhunting.main) :

Wolves are social animals that live in packs that may include the parents
> and pups of the year, yearlings, and other adults. The average pack size is
> six or seven animals. Packs of 20 to 30 wolves sometimes occur, and these
> larger packs may have two or three litters of pups from more than one
> female.
>
> The social order in the pack is characterized by a separate dominance
> hierarchy among females and males. In most areas wolf packs tend to remain
> within a territory used almost exclusively by pack members, with only
> occasional overlap in the ranges of neighboring packs.
>
> Typically one female wolf in a pack has a litter of about seven pups each
> year. This varies, in some packs more than one female may bring off a
> litter. In some cases a pair of wolves may not form a pack or belong to a
> pack, and will bring off a litter of pups.

​Etc.

CW​

Chris Waigl . chris.waigl at gmail.com . chris at lascribe.net
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net . http://chryss.eu