[Ads-l] corpulent

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Sun Jun 10 20:46:47 UTC 2018

You have a very garbled version of Asimov's story.

Asimov went to the laboratory stockroom for some paradimethylamino benzaldehyde and the stock clerk said, "Oh you mean" and sang the name to the Irish Washerwoman tune.

Asimov immediately responded by saying "Dactylic tetrameter" and other things to put the stock clerk in his place.  However, the stock clerk had the last laugh, as Asimov found himself with the chemical's name and the Irish Washerwoman tune as an earworm.

Sometime later he had an appointment and was singing that earworm when the secretary (probably not an old Irish woman) said, "Ah, you know it in the original Gaelic!".  So he had himself announced as "Isaac O'Asimov".

- Jim Landau