[Ads-l] Put the kibosh on: Evidence it referred to a whip, #1

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Wed Jun 13 23:54:40 UTC 2018

--

My perception is a little different. I believe the most natural
interpretation assigns this poem's "kibosh" about the same meaning it

Of course there may be some poetic license and my assessment (like
others') may not be 100% decisive.

I am NOT asserting that the modern word "kibosh" cannot be descended
from "kibosh" = "kurbash" meaning "[a type of] whip" or so. I don't
believe the poem necessarily contributes any significant information
about "kibosh" etymology.

I have a few other notions but of course I haven't given this subject
much attention compared to the three authors. I have read PART of the
book at Google Books. I have read Gold's paper and something by Maher
(these suggest different etymologies). I do not believe I know a
definite "kibosh" etymology. I can make further remarks, either on or
off the mailing list, if they would be welcome or useful.

-- Doug Wilson