[Ads-l] undecimate

Mark Mandel mark.a.mandel at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 14 19:46:55 UTC 2018

As Jim is probably aware, that makes perfect sense. *Un*doubtedly  this
"un-" isn't the English negative prefix at all, but Latin. "Undecem" is
Latin for 11, and just as "decimate" historically means "reduce by 1/10",
"undecimate" means "reduce by 1/11". 100/11 = 9.0909..., so "undecimate" is
an accurate term for "cutting nine per cent". & IMO this sentence is cute
as hell. 😈

Marcus, qui linguam latinam audivit