[Ads-l] soothsayer - voice of reason

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 19 17:00:58 UTC 2018

Curiously, the OED has a “poetic” use of _sooth_ 'Soothing, soft’, with two cites, both from Keats, one in the comparative and the other the superlative. The latter, from The Eve of St. Agnes (1820) is the more evocative:  "A heap Of candied apple..; With jellies soother than the creamy curd.”  So we can assume Javanka are in Washington to offer us creamy curd.

LH