[Ads-l] "little green men"; "flying saucer"

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 20 17:55:37 UTC 2018

There is a story from 1906 about why money is green.  In the story, "Little Green Men" from the moon visit a young boy named Eddie and have him take them to the White House.  They want to complain to the President about evil men who kidnap little green men when they visit earth and grind them into greenbacks.  The moon, it seems, is made of pure gold - but they don't have any food on the moon.  So they come to earth to buy green grass which is their favorite.  They pay for the grass with pure gold, but some greedy men kidnap the little green men and grind them into cash.  Just look at any dollar bill - it has tiny little fibers - those are the hairs of little green men from the moon.

"Eddie told [the President] all about the troubles of the little green men, and the President, who was a very kind-hearted man, informed that he would attend to the matter at once.  'We'll use somethign else and stop grinding up people, even if they are green,' he said.  'Money is a good thing to have, but we won't make it that way any longer.'"

The Courier Journal (Louisville, Kentucky), July 29, 1906, section 3, page 9.  Also in several other papers.

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 10:04 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "little green men"; "flying saucer"

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>

DT-related:

1878 _Inter Ocean_ (Chicago) (Oct. 8) 5: James Traynor stood on the corner
of the street and howled and apostrophized an imaginary little green man he
saw leaning against a lamp-post. An officer..., finding he had an awful
attack of the "horrors," ...put him in a nice, cool cell.

JL