[Ads-l] as such = "as a result; therefore"?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 22 14:10:37 UTC 2018

* Another "as such = 'as a result; therefore.'*

*I don't recall if I mentioned previously that I began noticing this usage
in 2002 or 2003, when a student of mine used it regularly - in writing
only, so far as I could tell.*

https://www.universetoday.com/139467/new-model-predicts-that-were-probably-the-only-advanced-civilization-in-the-observable-universe/

" 'This often leads to overconfidence, and worse, the Drake equation is
very sensitive to bias: if you are hopeful a small nudge upwards in several
uncertain estimates will give a hopeful result, and if you are a pessimist
you can easily get a low result.'

" As such, Sanberg, Drexler and Ord looked at the equation’s parameters as
uncertainty ranges."

JL