[Ads-l] womp womp

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jun 23 20:38:07 UTC 2018

> On Jun 23, 2018, at 4:22 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
>> Isn’t this womp womp also pronounced “wahn wahn” with a nasalized “n”?
>
> Yes. I'd have spelled it "wonk wonk." Is the supposed "p" ever pronounced?

Depends on whether “pronounced” just requires closure or release.  In the actual human rendering (as opposed to the Let’s Make a Deal version) there is at least sometimes closure, which would distinguish it from a simple nasalized vowel, i.e. wahn wahn (or ouan ouan in French orthography), but there’s no release.  The lips look closed to me at the end in at least some videos, which supports the womp rendition except for failing to represent the nasal vowel.  “Wonk wonk” seems too much like it should rhyme with “honk honk”, which it doesn’t.  Doesn’t really rhyme with “stomp stomp” either, though.  And then there’s the notionally negative tonal downstep, similar to those for “uh-oh”, “unh-unh” (and its closed mouth variant), and "[no you] di-int”, although all four of those also feature glottal stops. Come to think of it, “womp womp” may have a glottal stop between the womps too.

LH