[Ads-l] Joke about the accumulation of knowledge in universities

Thu Jun 28 09:42:37 UTC 2018

Barry Popik found great citations in 1878 and shared them with some
follow researchers off-list. Here is the earliest cite in his batch:

[ref] 1878 March 31, The Evansville Daily Courier, Fresh Freshmen: The
Blunders of Embryo Learned Ones at the College—No Wonder They Are
Hazed, Quote Page 3, Column 3, Evansville, Indiana.
(GenealogyBank)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Out in Illinois, likewise there is said to live a Freshman who, when
asked by Senior, "Do you know why our college is such a learned
place?" had the wit to respond, "Of course; the Freshmen all bring a
little learning here, and as the Seniors never take any away, it
naturally accumulates."
[End excerpt]

Inspired but this effort I was to make some further progress. Below is
an 1845 citation for a version of the joke credited to Jonathan Swift
who died in 1745.

[ref] 1845, A Course of English Reading: Adapted to Every Taste and
Capacity: with Anecdotes of Men of Genius by The Rev. James Pycroft
(Trinity College, Oxford), Quote Page 28, Wiley and Putnam, New York.
(Google Books Full View) link [/ref]

https://books.google.com/books?id=o2EZiqMMEP4C&q=accumulated#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
Swift said that the reason a certain university was a learned place
was, that most persons took some learning there, and few brought any
away with them, so it accumulated.
[End excerpt]

I have not yet found substantive evidence supporting this ascription to Swift.

Garson