[Ads-l] hog molly

Fri Mar 2 02:21:24 UTC 2018

In 18th C England, a "Molly House" was a brothel for homosexual men.

If in football an earlier meaning of hogmolly was "chubby fellows who
really don't want to play", that makes the question of how the term got
into Dave Gettleman's vocabulary as a positive quality all the more
puzzling.

You young folks will forgive an old codger for not writing "begs the
question", I hope.

GAT

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 6:30 PM, Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW, isn't the older meaning of 'hogmolly' a weakling?
>
> On Mar 1, 2018 5:46 PM, "Peter Reitan" <pjreitan at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The word "Molly" in the name of the fish may come from "mullet," as "hog
> > mullet" is listed as an alternate name for the "hog sucker."
> >

> > Presumably "hog" refers to being big and strong.  The word "Molly" in
> "hog
> > molly," in the football sense, may have originally been related to
> > mollycoddle, as suggested by the earliest example of a football "hog
> molly"
> > I found:
> >

> > "Every college football coaching staff has a hatchet man . . .  A good
> > hatchet man will run off all the 'hog mollies,' or chubby fellows who
> > really don't want to play."
> >
> > Tampa Bay Times, December 18, 1966, page 3-C.
> >

> > Others using the word to mean large may associated that term with
> > "humongous," as suggested by a comment by an ex-professional football
> > player who trained and competed as a sumo wrestler in Japan:
> >

> > "'These guys are humongous - I call 'em big hog mollies,' he said.  'It's
> > a nickname I gave them, and they started calling each other hog
> mollies.'"
> >
> > Arizona Daily Star (Tuscon), December 22, 1990, page 5-B.

George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.
Univ. Pr., 1998.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- also known as The Dunghill Toadstool.  (Here's a
picture of his great-grandfather.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851