[Ads-l] -splaining

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 4 20:20:30 UTC 2018

"Mansplaining" was nominated in the Most Creative category in the 2012 ADS
WOTY voting. In the "Among the New Words" recap for AmSp 88.2 (Summer
2013), the productivity of "-splain" was noted.

https://bit.ly/ATNW88-2
"The patronizing act of mansplaining has been extended beyond gender
divisions to racial and political ones, as in 'whitesplaining' and
'rightsplaining' (Clarence Page, “Rand Paul has Lotsa ’Splaining to Do,”
Chicago Tribune, Apr. 13, 2013,
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-04-13/news/ct-oped-0414-page-20130413_1_rand-paul-conservatives-u-s-senate)
."

Mark Peters provided a nice roundup of "X-splaining" forms for
Vocabulary.com in Oct. 2013.

https://www.vocabulary.com/articles/dictionary/mansplaining-spawns-a-new-suffix/

Then in the 2013 WOTY voting, "-splaining" lost out to "-shaming" in the
ad-hoc Most Productive category.

https://www.americandialect.org/because-is-the-2013-word-of-the-year

--bgz