[Ads-l] Heard on a re-run of The Office

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 4 23:27:34 UTC 2018

That's schwa in the second syllable of both, isn't it? I ask bc I
pronounce  "con" [kɑn], or /kɔn/ archiphonemically. Most of its usage in my
active and recognition vocabulary is not short for "confidence (man)" or
"convict" or "contra", but for "convention", whether as a freestanding noun
or as part of the name of a convention. See "Conomastics: The Naming of
Science Fiction Conventions", Mandel 2010, ADS Annual Meeting, Baltimore.
Slides in PDF:
https://www.ldc.upenn.edu/sites/www.ldc.upenn.edu/files/ads2010-conomastics.pdf
Slides with notes:
https://www.ldc.upenn.edu/sites/www.ldc.upenn.edu/files/ads2010-conomastics-notes.pdf