[Ads-l] Choate

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 5 07:17:46 UTC 2018

I have an old Army buddy and Fb-friend who went to Choate. Before I met
him, I thought that this name was pronounced "Cho Ate." When I learned the
true pronunciation - it's funny how language works; as soon as I heard
"Chote," I understood that he was referring to Cho Ate - it was all that I
could do to keep a straight face. That "chote" could be a real word and the
name of a prestigious prep school struck me as laughable, whereas "cho ate"
had struck me as merely a new word.

Speaking of Connecticut prep schools, I've long wondered how an institution
named "Hotchkiss" could possibly attract any students.

It all depends on what you're accustomed to, I reckon.

Youneverknow.
--
-Wilson
-----