[Ads-l] Heard on a re-run of The Office

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 5 07:49:51 UTC 2018

In the Army, there was an  NCO named "Forkner." Since he was from behind
the Cotton Curtain, he pronounced his name as approx. [fOUkn@]. I've spent
the last 55 years or so wondering whether this spelling might not be an
attempt at a rendering of _Falconer_ or _Faulkner_ or some such by a
semi-literate ancestor.

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 8:23 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> I’ve heard both pronunciations, although increasingly the one that rhymes
> with the first two syllables of “balcony”.  But when sportscasters refer to
> the football team based in Atlanta, they seem to always call them the
> fal.cons /'fael k at nz/ rather than the fall.cons.  Wonder if there are
> kids growing up who have them as separate lexical items (despite the clue
> from the team logo).
>
> LH
>

> > On Mar 4, 2018, at 4:13 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
> >
> > _falcon_ pronounced by Rainn Wilson as the obsolescent "fall.con,"
> instead
> > of as the far more common "fal.con."
> >
> > I'm not alone!
> >
> > There's a discussion on WordReference:
> >
> > https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/pronunciation-falcon.1660038/
> > --
> > -Wilson
> > -----
> > All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange complaint to
> > come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
> > -Mark Twain

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain