[Ads-l] Heard on a re-run of The Office

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 5 16:08:17 UTC 2018

> On Mar 5, 2018, at 7:45 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> As I may have mentioned long ago, the only pronunciation I've ever used
> semi-rhymes with "scalpin.'"
>
> JL

I’m pretty sure I use the fall-kin pronunciation if I’m reciting the second line of Yeats’s Second Coming or the title of the Hammett/Bogart quarry from Malta (maybe because of the assonance in the latter case; ditto if I ever came across a bar called the Salty Falcon). But, as mentioned, never for the Atlanta NFL franchise.  Otherwise I don’t have much occasion to refer to the actual birds.

LH