[Ads-l] Even Earlier Antedating of "Sexual Harassment"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 25 14:42:13 UTC 2018

> On Mar 25, 2018, at 7:38 AM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU> wrote:
>
> I have previously antedated the term "sexual harassment" back to 1971; my citation is now listed as the earliest use in the Oxford English Dictionary.
>

> Here is an even earlier antedating, although arguably the OED should place it in square brackets because it is further from being a fixed collocation than the citations I have found from the early 1970s, and has a somewhat different meaning from the later usage:

Nice find.  I agree that brackets are a good idea here; at that time in the mid-1960s, the line between “sexual assault” and “sexual harassment” were not drawn as they have been since, and it’s plausible that the early ‘70s were the time that the shift took place.

LH