[Ads-l] "square brackets"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 25 17:23:43 UTC 2018

> On Mar 25, 2018, at 1:17 PM, Jim Parish <jparish at SIUE.EDU> wrote:
>
> I've heard other mathematicians refer to "round brackets" (you know, the ones surrounding this aside) as well - usually having just mentioned the others.
>
> But that's one of the things we mathematicians do: group and classify things. One genus ("bracket"), at least four species (throwing in "angle brackets").
>
> Jim Parish

Ah, I’d forgotten those angle brackets, which proliferated in that same period, especially in work on phonology.  So square brackets would have needed to be so called even if the short-and-curlies were called braces.  But not being mathematicians, we went on calling parentheses parentheses and not round brackets.  Then there are those corner brackets (also called [left and right] corner quotes), not just the kind you get at Home Depot but the kind philosophers and some linguists (formal semanticists) use for certain quoted material in formulae.  So bushel baskets of brackets.

LH