[Ads-l] rebel yell and yeehaw

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 29 01:09:53 UTC 2018

Merriam-Webster online now defines "rebel yell" as follows:

"a prolonged high-pitched yell often uttered by Confederate soldiers in the
American Civil War"

Close, but no cigar.   "Any of various high-pitched yells..." would be more
accurate.

The M-W editors have clearly fallen for the modern stereotype.

JL