[Ads-l] Heard on Corrupt Crimes: _to put on_ "to pretend, to fake it"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 30 02:00:11 UTC 2018

I'm not at all familiar with the "putting on airs, acting above one's
station" meaning, only with the "faking it" meaning that's very close to
the meaning of the transitive, "hippie" term, _to put someone on_. If the
original sentence,

"If he was _putting on_, then he was doing a great job of it!"

were re-written as,

"If he  was _putting us on_, then he was doing a great job of it!"

then, for me, there would be no shift in meaning at all.

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain