[Ads-l] bucko = 'beaucoup'

Margaret Winters mewinters at WAYNE.EDU
Sat May 5 16:42:36 UTC 2018

I'd forgotten 'mercy buttercups', mercifully so given the number of years I taught French.  There is also 'merci buckets', alas.

----------------------------
MARGARET E WINTERS
Former Provost
Professor Emerita - French and Linguistics
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI  48202

mewinters at wayne.edu

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Saturday, May 5, 2018 3:07 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: bucko = 'beaucoup'

<< Mercy buttercups! >>: Sacred Heart HS, Kingston MA, ca. 1965; the fruit
of three years required French.
<< buku, bookoo >> RVN 1968:  GIs were convinced that <buku> was derived
from Vietnamese, an essential item in the local pidgin. Most were oblivious
that the U.S. was just taking over la Guerre Indochine in French Indochina.

[https://s0.wp.com/i/blank.jpg]<http://www.americandialect.org/>

American Dialect Society<http://www.americandialect.org/>
www.americandialect.org
Devoted to the study of English around the world.