[Ads-l] Rossini Quotation

Sat May 12 15:57:18 UTC 2018

Fred Shapiro, Fred wrote:
> I am trying to trace a quotation, attributed to Rossini: "Give me a laundry list
> and I'll [or 'I will'] set it to music."  In a little bit of searching the earliest I have
> found it is from 1941.  I would welcome any help in finding pre-1941 occurrences
> of this in English or in Italian.

Fun question. Here are matches in Italian in 1914 and 1913 for the
statement attributed to Rossini. Please double check for errors. I do
not know any Italian, so I am employing Google Translate which creates
flawed text. Rossini died in 1868, so there is probably considerable
room for improvement of these citations.

Year: 1914
Title: Musicisti contemporanei; saggi critici